Blue Cross and Blue Shield Recognition
June 16, 2010
Central Florida Regional Hospital Earns Recognition for Spine Surgery and Knee and Hip Replacement From Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida
Sanford, FL, May 4, 2010 - Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida, Inc. (BCBSF) has designated Central Florida Regional Hospital as a Blue Distinction Center for Spine Surgery and a Blue Distinction Center for Knee and Hip Replacement. These designations are part of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Associations expansion of its Blue Distinction® designation. Central Florida Regional Hospital is also a Blue Distinction Center for Cardiac Care.
Blue Distinction puts a high value on research and evidence-based health and medical information, said Allan Korn, M.D. Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association Chief Medical Officer. Blue Distinction Centers show our commitment to working with doctors and hospitals in communities across the country to identify leading institutions that meet clinically validated quality standards and deliver better overall outcomes in patient care.
The selection criteria used to evaluate facilities were developed with input from a panel of expert physicians. To be designated as a Blue Distinction Center for Spine Surgery and a Blue Distinction Center for Knee and Hip Replacement, the following types of criteria were evaluated:
- Established acute care inpatient facility, including intensive care, emergency care, and a full range of patient support services with full accreditation by a CMS-deemed national accreditation organization
- Experience and training of program surgeons, including case volume
- Quality management programs, including surgical checklists as well as tracking and evaluation of clinical outcomes and process of care
- Multi-disciplinary clinical pathways and teams to coordinate and streamline care, including transitions of care
- Shared decision making and preoperative patient education
More information on selection criteria is available on www.bcbs.com.
The Blue Distinction designation is awarded by the Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies to medical facilities that have demonstrated expertise in delivering quality healthcare in the areas of bariatric surgery, cardiac care, complex and rare cancers, knee and hip replacement, spine surgery and transplants. The program is part of The Blues® efforts to collaborate with physicians and medical facilities to improve the overall quality and safety of specialty care.
Marketing & Public Relations Contact:
(407) 302-7363 | email