Skimming the fat off the chicken stock and using a minimum of oil and no added salt means that this crunchy rice is lower in fat, saturated fat, and sodium.
Serving Size ½ cup
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat less than 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 86 mg
Ingredients and Preparation
Water 1½ cups
Chicken stock or broth, skim fat from top 1 cup
Uncooked long-grain white rice 1 1/3 cups
Vegetable oil 2 teaspoons
Finely chopped onion 2 tablespoons
Finely chopped green pepper 2 tablespoons
Chopped pecans ½ cup
Ground sage ¼ teaspoon
Finely chopped celery 1 cup
Sliced water chestnuts ½ cup
Nutmeg ¼ teaspoon
Black pepper to taste
- Bring water and stock to a boil in medium-size saucepan.
- Add rice and stir. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Reserve.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet.
- Sauté onion and celery over moderate heat for 3 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients including reserved cooked rice. Fluff with fork before serving.