Lung Cancer Screening
Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death in the United States for both men and women. The disease claims more lives each year than colon, prostate, ovarian, lymph and breast cancers combined. If lung cancer is detected early, it can save your life. Since lung cancer may not show outward symptoms in the early stages, lung cancer screening is vital, especially if you are a current or former smoker.
Consider a lung screening if the following statements describe you:
- You are between 55-77 years old
- You are a current or former smoker and have a history or 30 or more "pack years" (number of packs per day times number of years smoking) and if former smoker, have quit within the last 15 years
- You have never been diagnosed with lung cancer
- You have no prior history of cancer (other than non-melanoma skin cancer) within the past 5 years
Low Dose CT Screening
Central Florida Regional Hospital provides lung cancer screenings with low dose CT technology. Individuals can benefit from this important screening by obtaining a referral from their physician, and then calling (888) 894-2106 to schedule a low dose CT screening at Central Florida Regional Hospital.
Advanced Technology for Early Detection
If a suspicious lesion is found on your low dose CT exam, your physician may schedule additional exams and a lung biopsy to help make an accurate diagnosis. Central Florida Regional Hospital lung specialists use Veran SPiN Thoracic Navigation System and Endobronchial Ultrasound (EBUS) to accurately access small lung lesions. This technology assists in detecting lung cancer earlier and without multiple hospital visits for diagnostic procedures. If cancer is present, your physician will design a treatment plan specific to you.
Smoking Cessation Classes
If you are ready to quit tobacco, help is FREE. We are proud to partner with Tobacco Free Florida to offer a free smoking cessation program at Central Florida Regional Hospital.
- Free Nicotine Replacement, Patches, Gum and Lozenges offered when medically necessary.
- Covers all forms of tobacco.
- Meets in the Central Florida Regional Hospital Classrooms
For more information or to reserve your spot, call (877) 252-6094. Reservations are required and nicotine replacement options are available while supplies last. This program is sponsored by the Central Florida AHEC and the Florida Department of Health.