Rehabilitation center in Sanford, Florida
At Central Florida Regional Hospital, we offer inpatient physical therapy and rehabilitation (rehab) services through The Rehabilitation Center. We provide specialized therapeutic services to help patients recover from surgeries, injuries and conditions to regain their quality of life.
If you would like your doctor or healthcare provider to refer you to The Rehabilitation Center, call us at (407) 833-7576.
The Rehabilitation Center at Central Florida Regional Hospital is accredited by CARF (Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities) International. This accreditation signifies our commitment to providing high-quality inpatient rehabilitation services.
Our inpatient rehabilitation program
We are proud to be the first comprehensive medical rehabilitation unit in Seminole County. We offer 13 private rooms. Our rehabilitation specialists use advanced technology to provide therapies in a relaxing environment.
Through the rehab process, patients can minimize or even overcome physical or cognitive disabilities caused by injuries or illnesses. Our interdisciplinary team works with each patient to return them to the highest possible level of independence.
When it comes to rehabilitation after illness or injury, acute care rehab units hold advantages over other options, such as skilled nursing and nursing home care.
For example, all of the following are available at The Rehabilitation Center and not at the average nursing home:
- 24/7 access to specially trained nurses
- A full continuum of rehabilitation therapy and programs
- A minimum requirement of three hours of therapy per day, five days per week
- Access to a new gym, rehab technology and an activity of daily living suite
- Convenient access to advanced medical services
- Frequent visits by a rehab physician, most often a physiatrist
- Therapies and treatment plans, customized to our patients' specific goals and needs
- Treatment from a multidisciplinary, collaborative team of specialists
Patients of The Rehabilitation Center receive at least three hours of therapy, five days per week. Typically, this involves one and a half hours of physical therapy and one and a half hours of occupational therapy each day. Some patients also receive speech therapy.
Usually, there are two hours of therapy in the morning, and this can include training in the self-care areas of grooming, hygiene and dressing. Other therapy sessions can include exercises, gait training and other activities. Another hour of therapy takes place in the afternoon.
Individualized therapy programs
Following the evaluation period, a patient’s personalized rehab program is established by the patient, their family and our interdisciplinary team. We know that a patient’s needs change as they make progress. That’s why each patient’s program may be reevaluated by the patient, their family or the team on a weekly, bi-weekly or as-needed basis.
On average, patients stay in inpatient rehab for 12 to 13 days. However, the duration of each patient’s stay is dependent on their specific needs and rate of progress.
Our rehabilitation specialists
Our rehabilitation specialists have years of experience in specialized fields and with unique treatment techniques. Our rehab team works together to meet our patients' physical, cognitive and emotional needs.
Our interdisciplinary team includes:
- Case managers
- Certified rehabilitation nurses
- Occupational therapists
- Physical therapists
- Registered dietitians
- Rehabilitation physicians
- Rehabilitation psychologists
- Respiratory therapists
- Social workers
- Speech-language therapists
Candidates for rehabilitation
Most of the patients in our rehab center are managing or recovering from the following conditions or surgeries:
- Brain injuries
- Cardiopulmonary conditions or surgeries
- Chronic pain
- Congenital deformities
- Fractures of femur (hip fractures)
- Major multiple trauma
- Medically complex conditions
- Neurological disorders, including multiple sclerosis, motor neuron disease, Guillain-Barré syndrome, polyneuropathy, muscular dystrophy and Parkinson’s disease
- Orthopedic surgery, including joint and shoulder replacement
- Osteoarthritis or degenerative joint disease
- Seronegative arthropathies
- Spinal cord surgery or injury
- Systemic vasculitides with joint inflammation
Rehabilitation therapy requirements
To be admitted to The Rehabilitation Center, the patient must experience one or more of the conditions above and meet the following criteria:
- The patient requires medical supervision by a physician who is specially trained in rehabilitation medicine.
- The patient is medically stable and has the potential to participate in three hours of therapy per day, at least five days per week.
- The patient requires the specialized care of a multidisciplinary team.
- The patient can follow the directions needed to participate in the program.
- The patient has a plan for discharge involving family or a support network.
Rehabilitation therapy admissions
Rehab requires a referral, which is coordinated by our hospital's case manager. A rehab clinical liaison reviews a patient's medical history and collaborates with the patient, their physicians, nurses and/or caregivers to determine if the patient meets the criteria for admission.
Patients can be referred to The Rehabilitation Center by:
- Assisted living facilities
- Emergency rooms
- Long-term acute care
- Skilled nursing facilities
When the specific criteria for admission to inpatient rehab are met, rehabilitation is a covered service by Medicare, Medicaid and most insurance companies. Most insurance companies require prior authorization before admission to rehab. Our case managers assist patients with coordination.
Outpatient cardiopulmonary rehabilitation
The cardiac rehabilitation program at Central Florida Regional Hospital is certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation. This 12-week outpatient cardiac rehab program helps patients who are recovering from heart and lung conditions and surgeries.
What to bring to our rehab center
Once admitted to The Rehabilitation Center, patients should bring the following items with them:
- Several sets of comfortable, loose-fitting clothes, including a light jacket or cardigan
- Comfortable walking shoes, such as sneakers
- Personal care items for grooming and self-care
We provide Wi-Fi, and some patients choose to bring their laptops and tablets.
The Rehabilitation Center is conveniently located on the second floor of Central Florida Regional Hospital in Sanford, Florida.
Free parking is available.
Family involvement and visitation
We believe that family involvement in the rehab process aids in successful outcomes for patients. That's why we encourage families to participate in:
- Communication with the rehab team
- Education and training sessions to assist with the transition from rehab to home
- Recreational activities
Our standard visiting hours are from 4:00pm to 8:00pm. These hours, however, are flexible to meet patient and family needs.
If you or a family member would like to take a tour of The Rehabilitation Center, please call us at (407) 321-4500, ext. 35315.